Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I absolutely love this time of the year! People seem happier, are more conscious and willing to lend a hand to help others more than any other time during the year. It's wonderful to help those who need our attention the most, our forgotten and ignored, who need to be remembered; for me personally to go the extra mile to make their life easier, happier, lessen burdens, and bring a smile to their face, but I also have to remember to extend myself to everyone I come in contact with. I want to believe in the magic of kindness, of shared humanity, not only during this time but always. I also think once we take care of ourselves emotionally, physically, mentally, and nurture our souls, then we can move to extending that care to others. With all of this in mind I was inspired to write this poem.

In this season of baubles and bows
Battle for authentic voice
To be heard above the endless chatter
Is a daily struggle
In an ego driven world.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Ish I removed the top post...typos mucho! here is what it said without so many;)

I have noticed it too:) I think I've been noticing it for a few months now...maybe it has to do with the economy? things being a bit tighter, people getting a bit more humble???? A smile is truly contagious and I have been getting many in return. Nice to meet you! Great poem!

Lori said...

Thank you!!!!! Great to meet you too. I have noticed that too that people seem to be nicer and yes more humble, not taking things for granted. It is contagious and I love that. Thank you Amy!

christina said...

This is so true. I have learned so much from this season. To be humble is a beautiful thing.

I can't tell you how many times I think of those who are in need, especially at this time of year. I am so glad we have chosen to focus less on ourselves.

xxoo

Beautiful poem.