Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Many times people should have their attention brought to face the harsh realities of poverty because everyone has the routine of their own lives and often times this subject is not thought of. It is difficult to think of poverty, of people doing without the necessities, when you are the person who has been blessed with so many privileges. In many instances people don’t think about it because of the feelings that arise, such as guilt for having so much, or sadness that our world is filled with many people suffering from poverty, or helplessness because a person feels one person can not make a difference, or anger at the people who do have the ability, money, to make a difference in the lives of others but don’t and will not. We can all make a change, whether small or large, the positive act of helping is still making a difference in the lives of others.

I believe that fighting against something only makes what we are fighting for happen. I believe in setting my energy for positively acting on things that I am for. I am for ending poverty.

I have written a poem about poverty. I am by no means taking a frivolous attitude about such a serious topic. I am trying to convey that instead of taking action by helping others we look the other way thinking the tragedy of poverty will go away. Every small action that we can take will help and we can all work together to make a difference, to show people there is another way of life.

In the bookstore
I sit back and sip
Maple white mocha,
Scan articles
On meditation,
To nourish the soul -
Down the road
A girl goes without
Running water.
In my insular bubble
I read on,
Oblivious.

Every Tuesday morning
As I drive to work
I see the same woman
Waiting at the Public bus stop
On her way to collect
Her weekly welfare check;
Back at her house
Her husband molests
Their children.

The world keeps turning.

5 comments:

christina said...

Your words ring so true! Any small part we can play can help end poverty.

This poem is beautiful and haunting at the same time.

It's real.

Unknown said...

Wow Lori!!! This poem really hits close to home in that I worked for two years in a rape crisis center after grad school. I probably worked with at least 10-15 families facing the same social dynamic you created in your poem. You exposed an ugly social reality that is often present in families that struggle with poverty. Poverty really affects families on so many more levels than the wallet. Well done!

Lori said...

Thank you both Christina and Matt. Everyone can make a difference Christina and you are such a positive force in your community you are a role model to so many people. Yes Matt it does affect people in so many different ways, so true. I think it is the thing of people think they are stuck in their situation and that feeling of hopelessness leads to them thinking/believing there is no way out when in actuality people can be helped.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Wow. Powerful poem.

Lori said...

Thank you Michelle! Hope all is well with you! :-)